Tuesday, January 10, 2012

23andMe Genetic Testing

For Christmas I asked for 23andMe's genetic testing available for $99 plus a 12 year subscription to their service. I was so happy to see my mom handed me the money to get it done and today I collected my saliva sample and have shipped it out.


The results will take 6-8 weeks, but I hope it gets here sooner. I am soo damn excited it is not even funny. This test will let me know A TON of things. It will take me weeks, if not months to sort through all of the raw data included, but that's ok. I have a lot of time on my hands. One really good test now available in the latest (V3) chip of 23andMe is APO E. They now test to see if you have APO e3/e4. This shows your body's ability to detox and those with APO E4 have an increased risk of Alzheimer's and it has also been found in children with Autism.

Looking around online, it also tests a lot of Amy Yasko's methylation pathway SNP's as well as DBH SNP for genetic POTS.

Finding out my APO E is well worth the $99 and I'll get so much more out of it.

No comments: