Thursday, November 15, 2012

It is God's Will To Heal

Author's Edit (2016):
Sometimes it can be good to look back a few years and see how much God has changed you. This post reflects so much of what I no longer believe. This post demonstrates to me how you can become a parrot for another person's teaching and not even realize it. 

Since I've been involved in the chronic illness community for many years, I am friends with a lot of people who are sick. Many of them have been sick for 5, 10, 15, 30+ years. My way to give back to this community was always to do research and to make myself a guinea pig to see what supplements, detox programs or other things were beneficial to me. I thought if I could make a blog describing everything I had tried, once I found my cure, then I would be able to help lots of people. Many years went by and yet nothing ever restored me to where I could work again or feel normal. I told myself that it was only a matter of time, but nothing worked. In fact a lot of the things I did, set me back and made me and my husband only worse. Just take a quick look around here and you'll see what I mean...haha

In July 2012, I felt the Lord tell me to stop doing all the health theories and doctor hopping. I went from being a scientist, digging through my genetics, writing up theories and ideas on what might be causing my illness, and instead started reading my Bible and listening to the Lord. It was the biggest 180 degree change I've probably ever done in my life!

This has given me an unique perspective as a chronically ill born again Christian, seeking healing from the Lord. In this latest journey, I have learned that not all Christians believe in healing of the sick.

Some Christians believe their sickness is given by God because of something they did or that they need to be taught some lesson in life or need to be made more humble and thankful for what they have. Some even think it is God's will to keep them sick and that if the Lord wanted them healed, then they wouldn't still be sick. Unfortunately a lot of good people have been mightily deceived and do not have a good understanding of where sickness comes from.

My hope is that this post will help some get a better understanding that it is the Father's will to heal and it is ok to seek and desire healing.

It is NEVER God's will for anyone to be sick. Sometimes bad stuff just happens, but it does not mean the Lord made this happen or wanted it to happen. This is a very dangerous way of thinking because it implies that God is behind every murder, death, car accident and bad thing that happens in our lives. Sometimes it's like we forget that God is love, compassion and life.

So who is the source of sickness? 

Well the enemy of course. I don't like to focus on the devil nor give him much credit, but I think it's important for sick people to realize that all sickness comes from him. Not God. God also did not let it happen either. The devil has done a good job at deceiving us and making us blame God for things that the devil is doing. It's a pretty slick method of getting us to question God and our faith by giving us this idea that God is the one making us sick. 

Jesus is the Good Shepard. Trust in that. Believe in that. Don't let a stranger's voice lead you to believe something else.

John 10:9-10
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. 

A sickness is NOT life and definitely not life more abundantly. It definitely gets filed in "stealing, killing and destroying", so if you believe that God wanted an illness for you, please consider otherwise not by what I say, but by what is in the Bible. I encourage you to look up these scriptures on your own.

 Mark 16:17-18
"And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;  they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.

Matthew 8:16-17
16 When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: “He Himself took our infirmities And bore our sicknesses.”

1 Peter 2:24-25
“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness;“by his wounds you have been healed.” 

If you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then not only is he your healer, but he also told us to lay hands on the sick so they will recover. If he was the one who sent us sickness, then he wouldn't have given us the authority against sickness and disease. Otherwise, we'd be doing things against his own word.

Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. 


The church as a whole has really lost its way with healing and health. Theoretically many know that God can heal, but they don't realize that we as believers have the same authority as Jesus to command healing in His name.

And even if you are sick and have been sick for years, it is still his will to heal you! God has told me he is going to heal me. I don't know when, but God is NOT a liar! I continue to listen to his voice and do the things I hear him telling me to do.

How do we know what Jesus did was also God's Will? 

In John 14, it very clearly tells us that the works of Jesus are the works of the Father. If we've seen Jesus, then we've seen the Father.

John 14: 6-11
" Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves." 

Hebrews 1:1-3
1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power.


  
Colossians 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God.

Through all of these scriptures, we learn that the works and life of Jesus are those of the Father. This means without any doubt that God wants healing for us because Jesus healed people in every single town he visited. I personally love the story of the woman who bled continuously for 12 years and by her touching Jesus' garment, she was instantly healed (Luke 8:40-48; Mark 5:21-34). Anyone who came to Jesus seeking healing, received healing. He never told them Father was teaching them a lesson, trying to keep them humble or that they deserved it for some reason or another.

One important thing to remember though is that Jesus did not blanket-heal entire cities. He only healed those who came to him, so there was some level of faith needed in order to come into his presence and receive prayer. This is something to keep in mind in your own journey. Are you putting yourself in the presence of God to be healed?

Why have we lost our way?

I think we lost our way because we are focusing on the wrong things. Instead of keeping our eyes on Christ, believing the Bible,  we have allowed personal experience of loss, sickness, hurts and struggles determine who we are and determine God's will.  When in reality, we should be determining who we are because of what Christ did on the cross. We have become so focused on ourselves and our experiences, that we have completely forgotten the significance of Christ. We do this without even realizing because it's become so normal and part of our daily lives.

The reason why people are questioning healing is because the basic understanding of what Jesus did on the cross is not well understood. Without this foundation, nothing else we try to build on-top of it is going to be secure in its roots. If we see ourselves by the what Jesus did for us on the cross, then everything outside of that identity falls away. We also begin to accurately see shame, guilt, fear, anxiety and panic as attacks by the enemy instead of thinking it is who we are.

James 5:14-15
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. 

I have no doubt in my mind, that it is always God's will to heal. We are told over and over again this in the Bible. Look up local churches to see if they lay hands on the sick or do healing services. Not all churches are the same in regards to their stances on healing, but start somewhere. Always keep seeking the Lord, keep your eyes focused on Christ.. Never give up or start thinking it must be God's will to remain sick. It's not. This is the devil trying to keep you from seeking God. He is probably intimidated by you!!

Once we begin to expect healing as part of our faith and identity in Christ, then I believe more and more miracles will begin to happen. To this day, I continue to seek my full healing in Jesus' name.  Amen!

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Roxie, thanks Dana for sharing this and reminding believers of God's Word / truth. I think those of us dealing with chronic illness can lose sight of the Truth and sometimes question our faith and purpose.

Thanks for your faithfulness and very happy for your healing!