Thursday, December 10, 2009

Yep I Have RT3 Dominance

Well it is official now for sure. I have RT3 dominance even WITHOUT armour. NO wonder I felt so terrible on that crap. This is why doctors need to test this before you even go on Armour no matter what your numbers look like! If your doctor is not testing Reverse T3 before putting you on Armour, you need to set them straight so you don't suffer for months like I have.

There were my labs-
TSH 1.590 (0.450-4.50)
FT3 3.2 (2.0-4.4)
FT4 1.32 (0.82-1.77)

Now my numbers here don't look so bad. Most docs would send me on my way or say that a little bit of armour might do the trick....But look at my Reverse T3!

RT3 362 (90-350) High

...And there it is. My problem. My body can't convert it's own T4 into T3 so how can I expect it to convert Armour? Essentially I am functionally Hypothyroid. My thyroid is making enough hormone, but a lot of RT3 is bound in the T3 receptor sites, which does not allow T3 into the receptors to do their job. I am running around hypothyroid WITH thyroid hormone in my blood! The treatment for this is to go on T3 only. Every doctor has their own method.

This doctor wants me to start off with 10mcg of T3/day, dosing it 5mcg in the AM, then 5mcg at dinner. I am supposed to work my way up pretty quickly to 20mcg, dosing it 10mcg in the AM, then 10mcg at dinner time. I have not started this yet, but hope to do so soon.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted!

No comments: