Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Eye Problems

Last week some time I noticed that the vision in my left eye got really bad overnight. It was really nice here so I was wearing my contacts rather than my glasses. I hate wearing the clip-on on my glasses.

Then a few days later, I noticed that my eye was not "feeling" right. It felt heavy, almost like it "needed to rest". It sounds really weird, but I felt like I needed to take my eye ball out and let it sleep for a while. I knew something wasn't right, but just shrugged it off.

Then 3 days ago I started to get a flash of light in the far peripheral vision of my eye. It wasn't all the time and I only really noticed it when it was dark out or if I was in a dark room. Needless to say that scared the shit out of me, so this whole entire holiday weekend I was anxiously waiting to call the eye doctor.

Today I finally saw the eye doctor and he kind of blew it off at first saying it was likely an optical migraine (because I'm so young). This was the first time in 15 years that the eye doctor dilated my eyes (because I'm so young). Gosh darnit, I am really sick of being young and getting treated like shit.

Anyway...When he dilated my pupils and began the exam, he said that my vitreous is "tugging" at the retina on my left eye. They use a bunch of mirrors and lights to look deep into the retinas and he said when he flashed the light in that area, it had a milky appearance which indicates tension. He said not to worry about it too much (uh-huh right), but he told me what to look out for/warning signs for a detached or torn retina. Technically I already have some of the symptoms, but he said if the lights get worse or if more floaters show up out of no where to call him immediately or get to the ER.../sigh

In addition to this, my prescription went up -0.50 in less than 6 month's time. Something is not right! That puts my left eye at -5.00. It is only -0.25 away from the right eye which has always been my "bad eye" ever since 4th grade. Consistently there was always -0.75 difference between the eyes.

Now as you can imagine, I'm totally freaked out! I've been needing to stress dose... My dad had a torn retina about 10 years ago and his vision has never been the same since. He has permanent floaters in his eye and he still to this day has flashing lights.

So I think I might go for a second opinion just to calm my nerves. Of all the things I'd never want to lose, that is my eye sight. LOL It's kind of important...just a little bit.

No comments: