Thursday, February 26, 2009

Salt Free Today

In anticipation for the last round of blood work tomorrow, I am on a salt restricted diet for a full 24 hours today. So far I've done a really good job of avoiding salt. Black Pepper is a great substitute!

For some reason I was really craving a yam with some butter. Thankfully we only buy unsalted butter, so I got to indulge! At the last minute I decided to smash it up and add a touch of vanilla extract (the real stuff) and some cinnamon. It was so delicious! Too bad I don't have a picture of my masterpiece to show you. :-)

We are taking a break from our gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, egg free diet plan. Sadly neither of us are showing any difference in our digestions (good or bad), so this 2 month trial may have been for nothing. Even though my husband tested as highly allergic to all those foods, after 8 weeks he wasn't feeling any different.

The one good thing that came out of this diet, is that I am more comfortable in the kitchen. I'm am feeling more adventurous and willing to just throw in a bunch of spices to see what happens. I still never got down making gluten-free breads, but maybe I will in the future.

I'm not sure what we will do long term. I don't think wheat is good for you and should be avoided as much as possible. We are just going to play it by ear and see what happens!

No comments: