Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Lived Through It!

This water deprivation was much harder than the last one. I woke up at 5AM so thirsty and I couldn't do a darn thing about it. The crazy thing is that I had to wake up and pee too. Wow! I was 7 hours into the deprivation and my body was still urinating during the night. That's pretty crazy.

I was awake from 5am to about 8am. I literally just laid in bed, sweating and just hoping that this would be over. Then eventually I fell asleep and woke up around 10AM. I felt so lifeless this morning. My mouth was tacky and I cracked my lip really bad during the night. It was bleeding. My left arm started to cramp up really bad. My fingers wanted to curl and my forearm was on fire!

We got to the lab and they were closed...LOL so we had to go to another lab about 30 minutes away. /sigh I told the lady to get the blood out of me now, so I can drink some water. She knew what was up and before she looked at the tubes said, "oh you are getting ADH checked?" I was impressed to be honest and she's drawn my blood before in the labcorp near my house.

My urine was fairly dark when I collected it this morning. That's a good sign that my body does concentrate urine somewhat. I know that I don't have severe, complete DI or I wouldn't even been able to go 3 hours without water. People with complete DI usually can't go more than 2 hours before their vitals get so weak that they are at serious risk of going into shock from fluid loss.

I am very curious to see what the results are from these tests. We did a BMP to check sodium, BUN, and potassium. Sodium is supposed to be higher when you are dehydrated and now that I'm taking florinef I wonder if my body is responding appropriately now. We also checked blood osmolality to see how thick my blood was getting. This tells you exactly how dehydrated the body is at that very moment. Anything above 295 means that you are maximum conservation mode. Lastly we checked serum ADH. This test isn't always that accurate, but I did it just to see how it compares to my numbers from the test in '08. The urine osmolality will tell me just about everything I need to know, but you have to compare it to the serum osmolality and sodium levels in the blood. You can't just look at 1 thing.

I will definitely post my lab results when I get them back. It will probably be 2 weeks because I know they have to send out the ADH to another lab.

No comments: