Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Caffeine Dependent--Adrenals?

I have noticed these past 2-3 days, I have been very dependent upon caffeine and sweets. I have always liked a cup of coffee in the morning, but the sweets thing is new. I don't know where this is coming from! Part of me thinks it's my adrenals acting up again. Tomorrow I am going to slowly start back on the cortef. 5mg in the morning and 5mg at lunch or maybe at 4pm. I haven't completely decided yet. I need to get on a better eating schedule. It's messing me up more, I know it.

In addition to that, I am going to start back up on my supplements. The itching has almost completely stopped. Now I get to add stuff back in 1 at a time to see if any of them were causing it.

My one cat is sick with a UTI and she has been keeping me up at night. I get worried about her. She likes to pee on stuff when she has one...UGH...That's her way of letting me know she needs to go to the vet.

Here's a quick picture of her. We found her almost literally on our doorstep one night coming home from the store. She was meowing like crazy and looked very sick with cuts all over her face and a chunk of an ear missing. Java (nicknamed Bean) has been with us for more than a year, but she has her own health problems with food allergies, chronic UTI's and digging at her fur. I love her with all my heart though. She was obviously thrown out by someone in the area (probably because of her health problems). I saw her two days prior in our back yard. Just thought she was another farm cat passing through.
And so I'm not showing bias to cats. This is my other cat, Lily. I love her so much too. Each of them have their own quirks.Lily is really weird and likes thing that are poisonous to her. Cats are supposed to hate citrus fruits, but if you are eating a orange with her in the room, SHE BEGS for the orange peel...Weird I know. She also LOVES red romaine lettuce! Not the green stuff, it has to be the red! haha

2 comments:

Marie-Yvonne said...

Hi Dana,
I just came across your blog. Sounds as if you have been having a hard time health wise, hope you see lots of improvement in 2009!

Looked through your last few posts but you didn't mention diet much. Except giving up chocolate and a craving for coffee.

Wanted to say that giving up sugar, caffeine and refined carbohydrates has done so much to improve my health. They are very powerful despite seeming 'ok' because they are so readily available.

What we eat is the fundamental fuel we give our body to work with and it too often becomes an actual burden on the system. In effect poisoning the body and mind, rather than feeding them.

Going organic is a major step in the right direction but also it is the actual meals we eat that need to be nutritious and natural, in order to avoid any undue stress on ourselves holistically.

The pleasure and function of eating goes way beyond just satisfying our sense of taste or a craving for certain things.

You seem very well versed in medical matters so I hope you wont mind me pointing out these very simple facts. We have all heard them before but sometimes we need to pay attention to the very basic equations. i.e. 'We are what we eat' ...certainly as far as energy and health are concerned.

Take care & All the best, Marie.

Dana said...

I completely agree with you about diet. I should probably do a post about it sometime soon. Sometimes I get so caught up with everything, that I forget the most basic things!

We went all organic about 1 1/2 years ago. I can't exactly remember. Prior to that we cut out high fructose corn syrup, MSG (natural flavorings, yeast extract), artificial colorings, artificial sweeteners, and a lot of other stuff. There is so much bad stuff out there, I can't even remember it all! About 6 months ago, I finally threw out all of my bad makeup and got stuff without chemicals. That was the hardest change of everything. To be honest, this stuff just doesn't work as good as MAC or Estee Lauder. I won't lie. I also threw out all of my cheap jewelry.

There are a few things that still get the best of me. Chai tea is one of them. I love fruit, so I eat a lot of natural sugars. Oranges are definitely my favorite.

I know I don't always eat the best and when I mean that, I don't really a whole lot. Some days, I probably eat about 700 calories. Mostly from this severe lack of appetite and I still don't know what is causing it. My weight likes to go UP and down, but I hover right around being underweight for my height.

I love to eat salads with red peppers, onions, carrots and a little bit of cottage cheese. Yum! I used to be a lot better at juicing than I am now. However, I try to juice at least 3-4 times a week. 1 whole cucumber and 1/2 lemon is so delicious. Every time I make one, I always say to myself--WOW these make me feel good!

But with everything, routine gets boring to me and I usually stray from my "diet" a little. Not too much though. It's not like I'm going to Taco Bell for lunch. ;-)

Thank you for commenting, Marie! I appreciate it. =)