Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Sunspot!

Today there is a new sunspot! Holy cow! I check it every few days to see what's going on with the sun. I'm not even much of a star gazer or anything, but I found the recent absence of sunspots pretty interesting. I know absolutely NOTHING about sunspots, what they even are or how they are formed. All I know is that this marks the next solar cycle. After watching the movie Sunshine, last night, I'm glad to see the sunspot. lawl...

Update: I did a little digging and it looks like there have been a few other sunspot groups this past year. Not many, but some.

The sun is still a big mystery even to astronomers. There are so many things we take for granted in this world. If it weren't for the sun, we wouldn't be here right now. You can see the latest picture of the sun on the left-hand side column at Spaceweather.com. Now we wait and see if more sunspots continue to develop.

More snow pics to come...

No comments: